Tuesday, April 11, 2006

How much do you hate your job?

I bet not as much as some of the people working for McDonald's outsourced drive-through service. Imagine yourself sitting in a cubicle thousands of miles away from the said drive-through and receiving non-stop customer requests asking for a double-double with cheese (obviously, I haven't been to McDonald's in some years).

Instead of listening to them on your walkie-talkie they are reaching you via Internet, and you follow through on their order by punching it into your computer. This in turn gets sent to the McDonald's assembly line for just-in-time delivery. Michael Dell would be proud! I honestly cannot believe that this makes them more efficient but I'm sure they've done studies...

The perks of working for the McDonald's call center include such gems as

Software tracks [employee's] productivity and speed, and every so often a red box pops up on her screen to test whether she is paying attention. She is expected to click on it within 1.75 seconds. In the break room, a computer screen lets employees know just how many minutes have elapsed since they left their workstations.

And you tell me I'll actually get paid (minimum wage) to enjoy this environment? Sign me up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home